Getting the work-life blend right
23 April 2020
With the uncertainty and anxiety we’re experiencing right now, I’ve found it so heartening to see my team at Tétris come together and show such tremendous support and team spirit for each other.
We’re a diverse team, singletons, parents, couples, all ages and so many different backgrounds, but we’re all finding our groove and learning to navigate this new work-life blend. It’s hard though, so I thought I’d share some of the insights I’ve gleaned from seeing my team at work over the past few weeks during lockdown.
- Trusting staff to structure their day to get the job done, while also looking after kids – I’ve learned that the best approach is letting them find a way that works for them, while still staying within certain parameters (as we all work in a team).
- Flexibility when family responsibilities come up, so staff don’t experience any added anxiety about the demands placed on them at this extraordinary time.
- Accepting that during this unprecedented time, there is going to be a blurring of work and personal life and that it’s okay to work in the evenings when needed and take time to spend with young/school aged children during the day if that works for you.
- Sharing tools and resources to help staff find some sort of balance (and letting each other know that we’re all experiencing the same feelings and challenges).
- Making sure you still allow time for yourself, even if it is just a few minutes a day. Mental wellbeing is more important than ever now and being able to switch off, no matter how briefly, is vital.
- Allowing for staff to interact in a virtual social setting too and not just for work purposes. Don’t underestimate the importance of that morning coffee catch up that has now been moved to cyberspace.
Be kind to yourself – you’re not going to get it right all of the time, and that’s okay, these are challenging times!